Frequently Asked Questions

Workers' Compensation FAQs

What should I do if I am injured at work?

Following any accident at work, it is critical to report the accident to your employer as soon as possible. Sometimes injuries don't become noticeable until after the incident. Report an accident as soon as possible and report injuries as soon as you become aware of them, whether it is at the same time as the accident or later.

Can I still receive workers' compensation benefits if the accident was my fault?

Yes. Part of the purpose of the workers' compensation system is to provide benefits to injured workers without the need to prove who was at fault for the accident.

Can I see my own doctor?

Yes, in Mississippi you have the right to make an initial choice of physician. In some instances, however, it is possible to waive that right and it is important that you seek an immediate consultation to determine your rights regarding the choice of your physician.

What benefits are available in Mississippi?

An injured worker is entitled to reasonable and necessary medical services. This will include payment of mileage going back and forth to the doctor and there should be no copays or deductibles for medical services.

An injured worker may be entitled to temporary disability benefits if he or she is taken off of work for an appropriate time by a physician. An injured worker may be also entitled to permanent disability benefits depending upon physical limitations, the ability to return to work and other factors.

Is there a deductible?

No. Deductibles do not apply to injured workers. Also, an injured worker is entitled to workers' compensation benefits from day one of his or her employment.

Social Security Disability/Supplemental Security Income FAQs

When do I apply?

You should apply for disability benefits as soon as you become disabled. However, if you have become disabled because of a worker's compensation injury, you should consult with an experienced attorney before filing for Social Security Disability benefits.

What do I need to apply?

  • Your Social Security number
  • Your birth certificate or other evidence of your date of birth
  • Military discharge papers if you were in the service
  • Your checking or savings account information so your benefits can be directly deposited
  • Names, addresses and phone numbers of doctors, hospitals, clinics and institutions that treated you
  • A list of all places you have worked in the past 15 years and the kind of work you performed
  • Dates of prior marriages

Is it necessary to hire someone to represent me in my Social Security Disability claim?

No. Claimants may represent themselves, but claimants with representatives win their cases more often than those who are not represented.

As a local attorney, I am likely to be much more familiar with your physician than attorneys/representatives outside of this area. The information you obtain from your physician is critical to your claim.

Auto Accident FAQs

What should I do after I have sought appropriate medical treatment following an auto accident?

First, you should NOT sign anything or give a RECORDED statement to anyone (this does not include giving your version of events to law enforcement or your own insurance carrier at the scene of the accident).

Second, you should take photographs of your vehicle.

Third, seek legal consultation by calling my office at 601-207-6963; we will work to make you an appointment as soon as possible.

Fourth, continue to seek medical treatment as your injuries require.

What damages may I recover in an auto accident?

You may recover damages for your medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, emotional distress, property damage, and other damages.

Do I have to prove fault to collect damages?

Yes. You must prove that someone was negligent/at fault in causing the accident that led to the damages you have suffered.